The Trofimuk Institute of Petroleum Geology and Geophysics, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IPGG SB RAS), a federal state funded academic institution, was established pursuant to the RAS Presidium Resolution of November, 22, 2005, providing for a merger of three RAS institutions — Institute of Petroleum Geology, Institute of Geophysics, and Design and Technology Institute for Environmental and Geophysical Instrument Engineering.
IPGG SB RAS succeeds the Institute of Geology and Geophysics (IGG), Siberian Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences, founded in 1957 by Academician Andrei A. Trofimuk, a highly reputed geologists who participated in the largest pioneering discoveries, among them the West Siberian petroleum basin, the Volga-Ural and LenaTungusska petroleum provinces. IGG was one of the first academic institutions built in close vicinity of Novosibirsk, in Akademgorodok created on the initiative of Academician Mikhail A. Lavrentiev, whose close associate was A.A. Trofimuk.
At present, the Institute conducts both fundamental and applied research aimed at solving top 5 Trofi uk Institute of Petroleum Geology and Geophysics SB RAS 6 priority scientific problems and practical issues related to social and economic development of Siberia and of the entire Russian Federation; its main research focus areas include:
- sedimentary basins: their formation and structure patterns; the theory of oil generation (naphthide genesis);
- the interior structure of the Earth's crust and mantle; geophysical fields; active geodynamics; seismology;
- global and regional stratigraphy; biogeochronology and ecosystem changes in the ProterozoicPhanerozoic history of sedimentary basins;
- oil/gas fields and coal deposits, their distribution; strategic development issues in the fuel and energy complex;
- geophysical and geochemical methods in petroleum prospecting and exploration: the theory, techniques, mathematical support and software, information and measuring systems, tools and equipment.
The Institute structure consists of the headquarters (Novosibirsk) including the divisions of Petroleum Geology; Stratigraphy and Paleontology, and Geophysics, comprising altogether 33 laboratories, and includes three affiliated branches: West Siberian (Tyumen),Tomsk (Tomsk) and Yamal Nenets (Nadym) subsidiaries.
According to the information from our Personnel Department as of 01.01.2018 the number of employees at the IPGG SB RAS and its subsidiaries totals 804, including five Full Members of the Russian Academy of Sciences (academicians), 73 Doctors of Sciences, 162 Candidate of Sciences (Ph.D.) and 318 research scientists